2021 round of the Faculty of Arts Learning and Teaching Awards applications are now CLOSED.
Information below are for reference purposes only.
Faculty of Arts Learning and Teaching Awards will recognise, reward and celebrate the efforts of individuals and teams who make outstanding contributions to learning and teaching and improve the quality of student engagement, experience and learning outcomes.
AWARD CATEGORIES AND CRITERIA
Five categories are open to both academic and professional staff in 2021. Award recipients, individual and/or team, will receive a certificate and the prize for each category of award.
Faculty Learning and Teaching Awards offer the pathway for most staff to progress through to the Vice-Chancellor’s Learning and Teaching Award nominations. Faculty staff are encouraged to contact their friendly Associate Dean, Learning and Teaching for advice.
- Applicant submits award application
- The Faculty assessment panel assesses applications and identifies overall winner for each category
2021 Application Form containing a written statement:
- 500-word: Sessional Staff Award and Early-Career Award
- 1000-word: Learning Innovation Award, Teaching Excellence Award, and Educational Leader Award.
Any documentation to support the written statement, maximum two A4 pages.
To support applicants with writing their applications, an Award Application Writing Workshop for the Vice Chancellor’s Learning and Teaching Awards is accessible. Click here to view workshop recording
- A4 page size
- Use selected criteria as subheading (mandatory)
- Fonts - Arial/Calibri regular 11 point for body text; 9 point for the rest of application
- Header – Full name of nominee at the top right
- Footer – Title of the document on the bottom left; page numbers at the bottom right
- Margin – at least 2 cm with clear definition between paragraphs, and no columns should be used
- Paragraph line spacing – single line.
Award Applications are now CLOSED
All applications will be assessed on the written statement and supporting evidence (optional) provided in response to the award criteria.
Assessment will also consider:
- Contribution to positive student learning, student engagement or overall student experience
- Recognition from fellow staff, the institution, and/or the broader community
- Evidence of sustainability and impact for a period of no less than three consecutive years (2 years for early career), not including time taken for development or trial of any activity*
- Been supported by formal and informal evaluation
- Shown creativity, imagination, or innovation
- Incorporated information contained in student data or institutional student surveys and references.
*This only applies for the: Learning Innovation Award; Teaching Excellence Award and Educational Leader Award.
The Faculty Assessment Panel reserves the right not to grant any categories of the awards should it judge the selection criteria not to have been met to a sufficiently high standard.
Award prizes may be used to provide additional resources: for professional learning/capability enhancement to support teaching enhancement activities and to disseminate best practice(s) in learning and teaching.
Award winners will be required to:
- Contribute to systemic change in learning and teaching by presenting a paper and/or workshop based on their award-winning practice at a Faculty learning and teaching event/s
- Support their colleagues to develop competitive award nominations, e.g., by making their winning application available to future applicants
- Demonstrate educational leadership and to promote their innovation(s) to other staff through peer-review, mentoring and other relevant communities of practice.