General Guidelines for setting up iLearn units
- Only one iLearn site is to be created for each unit code.
- iLearn Unit should open 1 week before the start of the session.
- The officially published Unit Guide should be linked in Topic 0 of the iLearn unit.
- All Turnitin assessments are to be marked out of 100.
- Gradebook should be set up with categories reflecting the assessments listed in the unit guide.
- Teaching Notes section should be used in iLearn for reflecting on teaching practices.
- Names and contact details of teaching staff are to be listed in the ‘Teaching Staff Block’.
- Links to library unit readings via Leganto.
- The learning outcomes listed in the Unit Guide in unitguides.mq.edu.au are the same as those listed on the iLearn site.
- Assessment tasks in the iLearn unit are identical to those listed in the Unit Guide.
- Assessment submission dates are consistent and up to date for the teaching period.
- There are clear methods for providing feedback to students.
Faculty of Arts iLearn Template
As part of the MQ Online Learning Standards, iLearn units should have a consistent look and structure, making it convenient for users to navigate their way through the site and locate information quickly.
The Faculty of Arts has its own iLearn template. Instructions on setting up Arts units using the template are provided on the Arts L&T Hub, here.
Dates That Students Can Access Units in iLearn
OUA students - will access iLearn units two weeks before the official start of session, and up to a month after the end of session.
On-campus students – will be able to access their iLearn units a week before the official start of session.
Editing iLearn Unit Student Access Dates
To edit these access dates, click on 'My iLearn Spaces' in iTeach:
Use the dropdown box and tabs to locate the year and session of the unit. Click on 'Edit'.
In the section entitled 'Student Access Dates', click on 'Edit' to change the dates as needed.
Adding Teaching Staff to an iLearn Unit
To add staff to an iLearn unit, follow the same steps - click on 'My iLearn Spaces' in iTeach, use the dropdown box and tabs to locate the year and session of the unit. Click on 'Edit'.
In the section titled 'Teaching Staff', click on 'Edit':
In the Staff Name field, enter the staff member’s name. Once you find the right person, select by clicking on their name:
Assign Role from the available options. For a summary of iLearn roles, see here.
Click Add Teaching Staff and the staff member’s details will appear in the list above.
Ensure your name also appears in this list as an iLearn Convenor. Having access to an iLearn space in iTeach doesn’t necessarily give you convenor access in iLearn.
Click OK. Back on the main editing page, don't forget to click Update this iLearn space at the bottom of the page.
Unit Readings (Leganto/Library)
The Library provides reading lists via Leganto, a list management system available on iLearn. Leganto reading lists are automatically rolled over each session with convenors receiving a notification from the system. The process for setting up unit readings can be found here.
All Faculty of Arts units are to manage student results using Gradebook. This page on the Arts L&T Hub provides an overview of how to set up Gradebook. If you need further assistance, please send a ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unit Moderation Report
The moderation report is to be completed by the unit convenor each session for all Faculty of Arts units. Please log in to the Moderation Report and complete the relevant sections as and when the actions in preparing and delivering your unit are completed. Please see the Convenor guide for the Online Unit Moderation Report [pdf, 497Kb].
More questions? Have a look at this Teche article: The most common iLearn queries and where you can find solutions.